Thursday, April 23, 2009

MR. GREEN THUMBS

So, Matt has been slowly getting our garden planted over the last few weeks. He started out with some of the hardier stuff that wouldn't be bothered by a frost, but now is just trying to get everything in. Every year he gets more and more stuff to plant, and this year it seems he has even more than usual. And every year we have the same conversation about the weird things he has chosen to plant.........ME: "Why are we growing that?? Why don't you just plant stuff that we will really use?"........MATT: "Because I want to see if I can." He just loves planting different things that he's never grown before. Even with the normal vegetables he plants he likes to get weird varieties........for example, one year he planted Lemon Cucumbers instead of regular cucumbers ......yup, they were yellow and shaped like a lemon. He makes me laugh! So this year we are going to be getting watermelon radishes, kohlrabi, leeks, rainbow colored chard, and who knows what else. He always tells me all the things he is planting, but I can never remember it all. I like to tease him, but it is kind of fun to see and try things that I never have before. We spent hours planting last night, but still have a lot left to do. I really don't get very excited about gardening until the fruits and veggies start rolling in, so thank goodness Matt loves the whole process enough to make sure it gets done every year!


***I almost forgot to write about two very exciting things that have happened in our house these last couple of weeks. First, we are now officially diaper free!! Once I found a bribe that worked it didn't take long for Ben to be in undies full time. I hate to admit it, but the bribe I used was video games. He loves to play the Lego games, so I finally just told him that if he was too involved in his games to stop and go potty when he needs to than he won't be allowed to play them. Worked like a charm. And the second exciting thing is that Ben and Paige have both discovered that they like broccoli! They will actually eat it without complaining now........they won't eat much, but they will eat it which is a major breakthrough with my two picky eaters! Too bad broccoli is one of the things that Matt decided not to plant this year!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm so jealous every year when you get your nice big garden! I wish we had a space to do that and a husband that enjoyed it! I can't wait to see what ways you use up those exotic things Matt is growing.

Katie said...

I'm SO happy to hear about your Mr. Greenthumbs. Purely selfish because I plan to come there and raid your garden :-) Did you guys plant any berries this year?