Thursday, December 31, 2009

LETTER TO SANTA

We had a nice quiet Christmas Eve at home this year. We usually spend it with Matt's family, but his parents were going to be out of town. So we just had a nice, quiet evening together as a family. After we put the kids to bed, Matt and I hung out waiting for the kids to settle down and fall asleep. When we thought they were finally asleep, Matt went up to check on Santa's cookies and found this note the kids had snuck down and put there:

For those of you who can't read "7 year old" handwriting, here's a translation with better spelling and grammar: "Santa or should I say mom and dad. I know you're Santa. Please don't give us coal. We've been good. Signed, Paige/ I love you Santa. I have been good. I love Christmas. I love your coat and I love your pants and I love your elves. Signed, Ben/ Merry Christmas. I hope you have a safe trip. Signed, Porter....................Oh, I just love my kids!

The kids were nice enough to let us sleep in the next morning. I don't think we started opening presents until after 9:00. I actually didn't take any pictures of our Christmas this year.......we did video the kids opening presents, but that's pretty much it. Then I spent a lot of time on the phone with my mom and siblings debating if we were still going to have our usual gathering at my parent's house because of all the snow we had gotten and were still getting. I think we all felt that it just wouldn't be Christmas if we weren't together, so those of us close enough to do it were all willing to brave the yucky roads. Matt couldn't get our snowblower working, so it took us forever to get our driveway and walkways clear of the ton of snow with only 1 snow shovel and the assorted other types of shovels we tried to use. (though we did have a very nice neighbor come down and help us out with our sidewalks and the bottom of our driveway......hooray for helpful neighbors!) We did finally make it to my parent's house with only a little trouble on their neighborhood's unplowed streets, and we had such a great time eating and visiting with my parents, my sister Kristell and her family, and my brother Kevin and his family. (though it would have been SO much better if ALL of my siblings could have been there, but I know that is unrealistic so I was just happy with what I could get!) We didn't stay as long as we normally would have because the snow was still coming and we didn't want to get snowed in..........but I am so glad that we were able to get together at all. Christmas just wouldn't have been the same without that time with my family! And then on Sunday we were able to have a wonderful Christmas gathering with Matt's family. That is my absolute favorite thing about the holidays......just hanging out with family......and all the good food to eat while we are hanging out.......

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh my goodness that letter is SO funny!!! You ARE going to keep that aren't you??? That is definitely something you will be talking about for years to come....like our Christmas "hamburger" cassette tape recording

Kara said...

ha,ha...Paige doesn't believe in Santa anymore :(....I remember Marissa was real skeptical last year, but we totally made her believe he was real- and she was 10!