Wednesday, February 9, 2011

VALENTINE BOXES

This year we had to make Valentine boxes at home for both Porter and Paige to take to school for their parties. And when Porter's teacher sent home their flyer announcing her "Annual Valentines Box Competition", I knew we had to make them awesome! I tried to get some inspiration from online, but really came up with nothing. So I just started thinking about what the kids liked and were interested in, and this is what I came up with:


Porter is really interested in Sharks, and I thought that would make a really cool box. I know it is not Valentiney at all, but I love the way it turned out! We cut the hole so you have to stick your hand in the mouth to put the Valentine in. I thought it would be really funny to put "Love Bites" on the box, but I decided that is probably a little too cynical for elementary school. You can't read in the picture, but on that white strip across the top of the box Porter just put Valentine Eating Shark. I had a hard time stepping back and letting Porter do a lot of the work. I wanted to do it myself to make it all look perfect and professional, but I knew that this was his box and I needed to let him do as much as possible by himself. He did a good job, and I am really proud of our joint effort! And more importantly......Porter absolutely loves it!
SHARK ATTACK!!!

I admit it, since Paige's box wasn't going to be in competition with other boxes, I didn't put as much time and effort into helping her with hers. Hers is a cat because she is loving cats right now. She wanted a 3-D face and mouth too, but I talked her out of it and we just went with a drawn on flat face. It was her idea to do the tiger striped kitty, and she picked out the color. It turned out cute, and I know that Paige was really happy with it. And that's all that matters.


1 comments:

Kelley said...

Very cute! Did Porter place in the contest? Paige is looking so grown up!!