Monday, May 7, 2012

ROAD TRIP

I feel so blessed that we were able to head to Kansas City last week to take the kids through the new Temple.  I had really wanted to go but there were so many many reasons not to.  But fortunately at the last minute everything worked out and all the planets aligned and we were able to go.  We had a temple themed Family Home Evening that week to get ourselves ready for the trip.  I have a temple cookie cutter and thought it would be fun to make sugar cookie temples.  Usually the kids love making sugar cookies, but it turned out to be more frustrating then fun and left me feeling really grumpy and with not much hope of having a good spiritual discussion of temples.  Imagine my surprise when we ended up having a very spiritual and lengthy talk with the kids about the purpose and importance of temples.  It was really great and Paige surprised me by showing lots of interest and asking lots of questions.  It ended up being a really nice evening and made me even more excited to take the kids through the KC Temple.

We ended up having such a wonderful trip.  I have been having a hard time lately with not being able to spend much time with my family and so this was such an amazing opportunity to not only spend an entire day together but to be in a place that reminds us of how important families are in Heavenly Father's plan and how we can be together always.  The kids were really able to appreciate the beauty and peace that is in the temple and all the important work that is done there.  Paige especially latched onto the brochure that they gave us and was reading and looking at all the pictures and trying to match things from the brochure up with what we were seeing inside the temple.  She was especially excited in the sealing room to stand in front of the mirror and see the reflection in the mirror behind her that goes on and on and on.......I really hope that this trip sticks with the kids and makes them anxious to return to the temple when they can.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

What fun! I totally agree about it being a great experience for my kids and hopefully it will be something that they remember!

Kori said...

I'm so glad you were able to go and had a great experience!