Porter just turned nine! His birthday is always the kickoff of our busy birthday season. From now until the very beginning of May, Porter, Me, Paige, and Matt all have our birthdays. I have just had one sick kid after another this week, so we didn't do much for Porter's birthday. I wasn't even sure if Porter was going to be well enough to do anything for his birthday. But even though he had a pretty quiet birthday, I think he still ended up a very happy boy. Matt took Porter and Paige to see Race to Witch Mountain, which they both loved. We were all going to go, but I ended up staying home with Ben because his tummy had been hurting all day. I love Ben's face in this picture........his tummy was really bugging him, so he climbed up onto Matt's lap and Matt started to rub his tummy. He finally stopped his sad crying of "OWWWW" over and over and was just sitting there looking so mad that his tummy was making him feel so crummy.
What Porter wanted most for his birthday was the new XBOX 360 game Halo Wars. I debated about getting Porter another video game, but finally broke down and got it. He was so, so, so, so, happy. Because of the price, that was his only present aside from a CD I made him of some of his favorite songs. As you can see from this picture, the video game was all it took to make him a happy camper.


I am so grateful for these nine years with Porter. He is just such a good kid, and I live in fear that I am somehow going to mess that up. He is so smart, friendly, and is always such a good example to all his friends. He is not afraid to stand up for what he knows is right. I feel bad because he sometimes gets neglected because a lot of my time and attention seems to go to all the drama that Paige and Ben create. I am so grateful that I got asked to be in Cub Scouts with him, so he and I could have some time together. He of course is addicted to video games, he loves music and is dying to learn how to play an instrument, he loves baseball, and he loves playing with his friends. He is by no means perfect.......he is always the loudest to groan and grumble when I tell the kids to clean their room or do any other work around the house (or when I tell him to take a shower!). He unfortunately takes after me in that he is quiet and reserved and doesn't like to share what he is thinking and feeling. Unlike my other two, he is uncomfortable with hugging and kissing and snuggling, so it makes every hug I get from him more special. I just love this kid and everything that makes him him. I have to smile because I know he would be so embarrassed if he knew I was writing all this about him. :)
So......to change the subject, here are a few other tidbits from our week:
-I got to start my week off by getting a root canal. That's what I get for putting off going to the dentist for so long. I have already been several times in the last few weeks and still have several more visits to get everything done. They've still got to finish up the root canal, do the crown, fill a couple cavities, and pull a wisdom tooth. UGH! A tiny little part of my brain is saying "You know, I never had any problems or pain UNTIL I started going to the dentist", but logically I know that I really need to get all this taken care of.
-We had our first tornado warning of the year. The kids of course freaked out, so we sent them to the basement. Matt and I have probably gotten a little too used to hearing the tornado siren to be really alarmed by it. Matt checked the weather really quick to see what was going on and then went back to doing yard work while I kept on making dinner.
-Matt has been in heaven that he can finally start to do something with the garden. He has been out working on the yard to get things ready and actually got to plant his first seeds. He got to plant the sugar snap peas because he said they shouldn't be harmed by a frost. I am really starting to drool over the thought of having our own fresh fruits and vegetables again.
-A big step for us.....we actually got rid of cable. Completely. We are now using a converter box and antenna. And you know what? I don't miss it at all. I was really worried about how the kids would take it, but they seem to be doing just fine. I think this is really going to help us to spend more quality time together.
1 comments:
It sounds like you guys are having tons of fun at your house! I'm so jealous of your garden. I can't wait until we have a place to put one. Glad Porter had a great birthday.
Post a Comment