Friday, March 1, 2013

ACT

Nope, not act.  A C T.  As in something I thought I wouldn't have to deal with for several more years.  Porter came home with a letter last fall saying that due to his score on a standardized test, he qualified for a talent search program through Duke University.  It gives seventh graders the chance to take the ACT or the SAT.  We talked to Porter about it, and I was honestly really surprised when he said he wanted to do it.  He decided to take the ACT and we checked a preparation book out from the library so he could get a feel for what the test was going to be like.  He went last month to take the test and I was so nervous about leaving him at a high school full of older kids for the morning.  I felt better when I found out that he took the test with a bunch of other middle schoolers.  Here is Porter's thoughts about the whole experience:

"Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was kind of nervous because I tryed to study but my brain just turned off. I can't really say anything about the test  because then they'd have to kill me (just kidding they had me sign something). It was easier than I thought but I still had to think, especially on math. I wanted to take the test since I thought, hey I'm one in not all that many considering the population that got invited to do this and, I figured my friend was going to take one of them so I couldn't have him never let me here the end of it. And i am not looking forward to taking this again in 4 years."

Anyway, we got his score back this week and I thought we'd share the results:


His composite was 22.......you can see that pretty well.  The rest might be a bit harder to read on here.  He got a 22 in English, 17 in Math, 24 in Reading, and 25 in science.  The graph just shows percentages.....how he did in comparison to all the others that took the test.  He was above average in all but Math.  Matt and I are really proud of him for taking on this challenge in the first place and we think he did really well.  Just imagine what he'll do when he takes it in high school after learning some more.......hopefully that will help his math grade. :)  We got an e-mail from Duke saying that they will be compiling all the scores and sending us something so we can see how he did in comparison to just the other seventh graders in the country that tested.  That is what I am really interested in seeing.  Plus his scores can qualify him for programs they offer that cost lots and lots of money.  Overall, it was a really positive experience for him and I am really glad that he did it.

3 comments:

Jana said...

That is fantastic! He scored as high as Steve did as a Senior in high school! We're still waiting on Joshua's SAT results.

Kori said...

Awesome!!

Tiffany said...

Wow! That's awesome. Kevin was impressed that he scored higher than the average high schooler! Way to go Porter!